A better day 11/10/12

I worked swing shift, and there was honestly nothing particularly great about today, until about 9 PM.  The floors were being waxed, stupidly beginning at 7 PM when we were slammed with customers.  By deciding to clean the floor at this time, we were all forced off most of the registers so the area could be roped off.  I remember looking up, not realizing I'd been working so hard I was ready to collapse.  That's when I saw why I was so exhausted.  There was a grand total of 3 registers open , and each line was overflowing with customers.  I started to worry about the possibility of us all being blocked in the store if a fire or something broke out.  We'd be trapped behind the tangle of customer's carts, created by their lack of space to put them while the floor was cleaned.  When I was finally relieved for my break, the cleaning process had taken over so much of the front end, that there were less available registers than there were cashiers working.  A couple of us walked around aimlessly, even the CSMs not knowing what to do with us.  That's when my day  got really good. Molly* (the CSM who always stood up for me and recommended me for customer service) said "Why don't we let Reagan* go up to there?" pointing to the desk.  I smiled hugely, looking a damn fool, I'm sure.  Cora* an especially bitchy (part-time) CSM tried to say "We'll see how it goes.." And for no good reason, too, other than to insist on disappointing me. But, she couldn't argue, considering all the registers were taken or unavailable.  The next 3 hours of my shift were heaven.  I don't know what it is, besides the nicer foam mats, the mini-fridge, and the ion fan back there, but I just love working back there.  I would probably never complain about any employees or procedures if I got to more often.  Of course, that's just like wishing for million dollars...Never gonna happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment