11/03/2012 The Public Scolding/Price match hell

There was a severe shortage of front-end staff today. Three CSMs called in sick, leaving just one, and Katherine, the Zone Supervisor forced to come in as a result.  Upon arrival I could almost feel the aura of her negative energy in the building.  I  immediately set to work, and I worked hard, too, knowing how it feels to wait forever in line while the cashier drags along as slow as possible.  A man came with a cart full of items to be price matched.  Since the customer is not required to bring the ads, I would have to wait for the store copy to be delivered to the register by a CSM. I called repeatedly to no avail, for them.  I had two choices: wait another good 10 minutes for a CSM, or just ring up his items and get the already outrageously long line moving.  As I had an IPH score of over 600 to maintain, and I couldn't stand to see the customers waiting miserably in line any longer, I rang up the items.  A customer can price match up to $50 off their total before we have to have a CSM approve the purchase.  Unfortunately, he'd reached this amount, and I'd now have to hold up the line no matter what I did.  Several minutes passed, before the only CSM on duty arrived and entered her password, approving his purchase.  She then printed a duplicate receipt, and I knew exactly what that meant-I'd get chewed out over the price matches I'd given later on in the day.  And to no surprise at all, Katherine appeared about an hour later to reprimand me for it.  I tried explaining that I had no choice, before realizing where she and I were having this talk-right in front of customers at the register! She actually felt it was appropriate to criticize me in public, instead of somewhere private including only her ears and mine.  I felt my fury rise up about this, as she continued.  I gritted my teeth as I told her I DID call them to bring me the ads, and they never came.  Her answer was that I will need to start bringing my own copies from home.  I told her I didn't have daily newspapers delivered. She said to ask my neighbors or a family friend then. In reality, this was a lie.  My parents did get a daily paper that I could easily bring to work.  However, why should I have to go out of my way to bring my own ads?  If Walmart expects us to price match, then they need to provide us with the necessary tools to do so.  Besides, cashiers have to buy enough stuff for work as it is. I have to purchase: pens, lotion, a fan, batteries, calculator, gloves, and sanitizer, since none of these necessities are provided to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment