11/02/2012 The much overdue lunch break

Tonight, I was doing fine, the last night, I was offered a few more hours, meaning I would get a lunch, not to mention more pay.  I was supposed to take my lunch at 10:30, four hours after my shift started.  When that time rolled around, I was knee-deep in customers, and guessed had their been an evacuation, we'd all be trapped, due to all the carts and people blocking exits and all aisles in sight.  To top it all off, I was apparently the only cashier actually trying to get customers through the check-out lines.  I was working so hard, that I guess customers even noticed, leaving lines after waiting in them for some time, already and stepping over to my line, where they waited no more than 5 minutes, I'm guessing.  Needing my lunch, badly, from working so hard, I called a CSM to let me go.  My answer was to wait for my replacement.  The clock ticked on, reaching 9 PM when I started to get furious.  I was scheduled to take my lunch at 8:30, and nobody seemed to ever care.  Of course, why would they? It's not the CSM whose been slaving away at the register, after all.  I again told the CSM, who said 'it was only a half hour late' as if that was perfectly acceptable.  Why is it my responsibility if my replacement is late?  I have to be responsible for my own job and theirs?  And now that they are late for their shift, I have to suffer the consequences? A coworker was also told, that she'd have to wait until her replacement showed up to leave, even though she was only scheduled until 9 and it 9:10.  This especially angered me.  According to Walmart managers, we don't have lives outside of Walmart.  Our scheduled work times and break times are merely suggestions, not concerning hours to be observed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment