11/01/2012 The first of the month

The first of the month is always hell, it is the prime shopping date for recipients of WIC checks and EBT payments, as well as just standard paychecks.  Therefore, I expected I'd be staying late.  This meant I got to witness a whole bunch of people buy anything that could be classified as food, gum, candy, and gourmet steak included, with their government provided funds.  The funds that I, you and every other hard working person in the U.S. helped pay for.  It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I see a woman texting on her iPhone, carrying a Prada bag, hand over her EBT card to pay for the gourmet, highest-priced meat available.  I can't even afford those types of things, and yet, here I am helping her pay for hers.  Another sickening thing is watching how difficult it is for a customer to determine which few things are WIC approved, while someone with EBT can buy things as absurd as Sour Patch Kids and Ho-Ho's.  And, I'm now aware that someone with EBT can simply remove their government funds via cash-back.  The average person seems to have $200 per month, and today I witnessed a customer buy a box of Reese's Pieces, and take $100 of their EBT card, then proceed to buy a bottle of Patron and a pack of Newport's on their way out.  The contribution from Walmart for today's rant is this: those with no job, no intention of getting one, and enough skills to work the system are the ones getting help. Meanwhile, some Walmart employees, trying to support a family on our scarce wages, don't qualify for government assistance because we 'make too much,' and are not even offered medical benefits unless we work full-time, which is something those who were, had stripped away in the last few years, becoming part-time only by a difference of as little as 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment