10/22/2012 No Concern for Salmonella Prevention

Today I arrived to find several pallets of merchandise shipments stacked right in front of my locker.  RIGHT in front of my locker.  I couldn't wedge my arm between the boxes and slide my purse in.  I had to wait at least 5 minutes for someone to arrive and pull them away.  I saw one of my coworkers, an older lady who'd been with Walmart for a few years.  She looked upset, but it didn't take long for me to realize why-Katherine* stood in front of the clothing section, arms folded, scowling as she watched us walk up from the back of the store.  Katherine* spoke rudely to my coworker, right in front of me, telling her that going into the holiday season, she was no longer able to satisfy her availability specified.  My coworker tried to explain that she had listed herself unavailable after 11 PM because she needed to catch the bus, and it didn't run after that time.  Katherine* paid no attention to what she had explained, and shot back, "Well, that sounds like a personal problem that you're just going to have to figure out before you get to work."  She then ordered us each to a register, and went back to staring into her beeper.  I became quickly aware that customers were just not happy today.  9/10 of every customers gave me a belittling look in return for my (honestly, fake) cheerful smile and greeting.  Now I'm not the kind of girl to carry on with small talk and use formalities when talking to people naturally.  But, for Walmart, I put on a show, knowing full well by now that if I didn't smile and greet people disingenuously, it would appear I was being rude.  I bit my tongue though it all, knowing that I didn't need a miserable pathetic customer to tell me how high my IQ was.  Then, I rang up a package of uncooked chicken.  Only after it got on my hands, pants, and the register, did I notice the blood leaking from the chicken.  I quickly removed the item from their order, and called a CSM to come and take over for me while I went to wash my hands.  She came, only to be condescending like the customers.  I told her what happened, and she said "So...Why did you call me?"  making me look like a complete idiot in front of the angry line of people.  I told her I had to sanitize my hands, at least, because it could cause salmonella.  (This was covered at least 3 times in our orientation and training, and every single time we were instructed to wash our hands thoroughly.)  She sighed, turned, and said to do it on my break.  Why should I have to perform a work related task during my already scarce 15 minutes of break for the night?  I guess if I do end up with a foodborne illness, I'll be sure to hire an attorney and tell them exactly where I got it from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment