10/19/2012 Lying Managers

So I worked a day shift today, something I'm not used to yet, but I am enjoying.  The time passes much quicker.  Anyway, I planned to stop beating around the bush with my managers, and simply go over their heads with my concerns.  I had been personally recommended for layaway and customer service desk, yet every time I asked to train there, I received the same bullshit excuse, "We need you at a register."  I had by this time started asking every single day, hoping eventually they'd get fed up and just let me go already.  With no such luck, I planned to go into personnel, where Lola* who handles our scheduling, works.  I found her up front, strangely.  I had no idea she even knew how front end operations went.  I told her, as cheerfully as I could manage, that I haven't yet worked at the layaway desk, despite being trained, while my coworkers got to do it all the time.  I said I didn't want to say it's favoritism, but that is what it feels like, and I feel extremely unappreciated when my daily requests to work at either layaway or customer service are immediately ignored or shot down.  She gave me a very puzzled look.  I was confused.  She asked, "You were trained for layaway and service desk?"  "Yes," I replied.  The puzzled look grew even more puzzled.  "Katherine never told me you were, that's why you'd never been scheduled there.  She tells us when employees are trained in other areas and that's how we schedule them there.  Rage burned inside me.  Though I didn't verbally point the finger at Katherine, I screamed loudly in my mind 'Well isn't that funny! Considering when I went to her about my concern, she specifically told me that she was going to talk to Lola and get me scheduled there!'  I couldn't believe she'd lied to my face..  Meaning I was, it seemed, intentionally kept at the registers.  I could only think of one reason why-my mistakenly earning the highest IPH in the store during my first month on the job.  She must have, as I had been almost positive in thinking, been aware of how good a cashier I was, and didn't want to lose her new secret weapon.  I managed to not show my fury on my face, smiling and thanking her, genuinely, for agreeing to definitely schedule me.  A bad taste remained in my mouth the entire shift, I was so disgusted that my department manager, someone you SHOULD be able to trust not to lie to you, Katherine, had done just that.  She lied to me. Right to my face.  And on top of that, the woman was a raging bitch to everyone, as always.  Particularly me, though.  Lately, I'd turn to see her glaring over my shoulder at the register, scowling at who knows what?  And of COURSE I then made several mistakes in front of her. Someone breathing down your neck can make you pretty nervous, you know.  I managed to fake my happiness to customers, as to avoid awkward questions of what was wrong.  My veneer of joy lasted all the way up to the time I was replaced for my break.  At this time, it became a slight morsel of actual joy.  I printed my IPH from the register, before letting my replacement take over.  I had to do a double take, before I realized what it read-$1,018.69!!!  I had NEVER gotten over $700, and now, I was at more than $1,000!!!!  I decided to frame the slip of paper when I got home, surely it was no significance to other front-enders, but to me, it was pure fucking gold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment