10/30/2012 Confronting the open-door policy

Feeling like it couldn't possibly get worse, I decided to talk to our Shift Manager, Nate* about my concerns.  I mostly wanted to address the fact that despite being the top cashier and always willing to stay late/cover shifts, I still was never scheduled to work layaway.  They trained me for it, and yet only put certain cashiers back there, one being a friend who started working the same day I did.  The talk with Nate went surprisingly well.  I was almost convinced everyone who feared the open-door policy was wrong.  Nate listened to me, something nobody had ever done before when I had concerns. He did explain that there was a cap on their layaway hours, per corporate's discretion, and that because of that, they couldn't afford to have anyone else back there without experience.  I then brought up Katherine's behavior, and my new found faith in the open-door policy was shot and murdered on the spot.  In response to my explanation of her cruel, belittling, disrespectful treatment of me, and all us cashiers, he said that I 'must have misunderstood her actions for being inappropriate.' Also, that 'she has a very stressful job' and I 'shouldn't take it personally.'  Stunned, I said nothing, but nodded and turned to leave.  I mean, she'd even treated him that way!  Her manager!  I spent the rest of my day feeling a mix of disappointment, and also a slight shred of hope that I'd actually get to work layaway this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment