10/29/2012 My stolen break

When you work a 5 1/2 hour shift, you know just how precious the measly single break given is.  I worked a dreaded (and in my opinion, cruel) 5 1/2 hours today.  Generally, you got your 15 minutes 2 1/2 hours into the shift.  It was awfully busy, as it always was on weekday late-afternoons.  I guess I'd gotten so 'in the zone' that I didn't notice over 3 hours went by.  I used the action code to request my break at least 3 times, to no avail.  I was now approaching lockout, something Walmart claims is done to protect us from labor mistreatment. Basically, if you reach Lockout, you can't sign in to a register until you've clocked out for lunch.  It does sound like it is for our own good, this way they can't force you to stay at the register all day, and forbid you from breaks.  And yet, if you reach Lockout, who gets written up for it?  Not the manager that didn't let you leave your register, but YOU for not leaving before you were locked out, even though this means you'd have to defy their orders not to. When finally, a CSM arrived, only to scold me for sending 'too many requests.' I told her why I had sent so many, and was then informed that according to the clipboard, I had already taken my break.  I shrieked that I definitely hadn't.  She said that apparently someone had 'accidentally' marked that I did take my break.  How exactly does this accidentally happen?  Someone, please explain, because I certainly don't believe this was unintentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment